Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

It’s over, but it’s not

As I type this, I’m in the middle of rehearsal for our Christmas musical at church. I find myself incredibly thankful that my part is no bigger than it is. I’m watching all these people running around with multiple costume changes in a short amount of time. I have 1 costume change and I have several scenes in between my scenes. With starting work this year, I don’t know that I could have handled much more than what I’m doing.

Well, Sarah and I had the talk about Santa this evening. She is so okay with it all. Kind of like the tooth fairy. She still wants to do all of the seeing him and pictures and all of that like we did this evening at Chic-fil-a. So I think we’ll still have fun with it. However, after it first came up a week or so ago, I really began to think about it.

Not only did I not want to ever technically lie to her about it, but I also didn’t want her to hear words about something make-believe concerning Christmas coming out of the same mouth that is telling her the truth about Jesus birth at Christmas. I guess I became concerned that she might think that if I was telling her stories of a make-believe Santa Claus that the stories we tell of Jesus might also be make-believe.

So, she has this picture in her mind of Mike dressing up as Santa, kind of like me dressing in black to be the tooth fairy. It’s so funny what their little brains come up with. So, the wonder and amazement of Santa Claus is over for Sarah, but in a way, it’s not. And we continue to look forward to having a lot of fun for years to come with Santa.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

It's cute how she thinks you guys still dress up for the part! I handle it exactly as you did. I never lie to them about it. I always turn it around as a question to them. "Is Santa for real?", I'll say, "What do you think?" One of mine knows the truth, another one is on the verge, as Sarah was. I'm glad it wasn't a big deal to her. FWIW, my parents STILL play Santa Claus and insist our "big" present is from him as they have since my birth. There's nothing wrong with an active imagination and having fun with it, IMO!

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Great fam pic over there, Donna! I can't believe how big your kids are getting! You and dh look great too! Miss you around the boards!