Search This Blog

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happy New Year!

Do you make resolutions? I usually don’t. Of course there’s the obligatory “I’m going to lose those unwanted pounds this year,” or the ever popular, “I’m going to exercise more.” Blah, blah, blah…. But honestly, aren’t those the ones we make every year without any intention of following through? Or, maybe we do intend to follow through, but our lack of self-discipline gets the better of us and we wind up at the end of each year feeling defeated because we didn’t accomplish all that we set out to do that year.

Well, 2007 was an anomaly for me. I set out to do nothing, and quite a bit happened. I did lose those unwanted pounds. At least 15-20 of them to be exact (another 5-10 were lost in 2006). I did make the effort and got into a good routine of exercising most every morning on my elliptical trainer. I got a job. I finished my 2005 family scrapbook album (well, mostly anyways). But most important, I accepted, agreed with, and embraced what I believe is the purpose that God has for me; to know him more personally and deeply.

So, what is the point of making a resolution anyways? When I make them, I don’t do anything about them. When I don’t make them, things fall into place and seem to happen faster than I can say “cheesecake.”

Well, I decided to make a New Year’s resolution this year. In fact, I decided that my whole family would each make one. And, being the control freak that you all know me to be, I don’t disappoint. I decided on my family members’ resolutions for them.

Mike: I resolve to kiss my wife goodnight every night before going to sleep.

Sarah: I resolve to do more rock climbing. (She adds that she will try more difficult walls.)

Nathan: I resolve to become completely potty trained and to stop hitting my sister.

And last but not least, mine. Well, this was hard. As I’m sure you can imagine, it’s difficult to improve upon perfection (although I know none of you can completely relate to this particular difficulty). However, I did come up with something.

Donna: I resolve to do everything I can to help my family achieve their goals as outlined by me. And to scrapbook more.

0 Comments: