Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ro*Tel Across America – Spicy Stuffed Shells

I don’t know if you noticed the badge on my sidebar as of late for the Ro*Tel Across America Recipe Contest.  If not, where have you been?!?!

A while back, Ro*Tel announced on Facebook and Twitter that they were going to have a recipe contest.  I immediately thought, “I cook with Ro*Tel all the time.  Surely I could come up with something to submit.” 

As I thought through my repertoire of recipes in which I use Ro*Tel, none of them seemed quite creative enough.  They are the usual things you might expect; Creamy Tortilla Soup, Southwestern Stew, and Mole Chicken and Rice to name a few.  But I felt like I just really needed something new and different.

So I began to think.  And mull.  And think some more.

And then, one night, as I was sitting at the table with Mike, I began to think of one of my favorite stuffed shells recipes and as I thought about it, I came up with Spicy Stuffed Shells that were topped with Ro*Tel tomatoes & chilies. 

So I developed my recipe, tested it, liked it and submitted it.

And I waited.

The day came and they announced the 10 finalists last week.  I didn’t make it.

:(

But that was okay because my friend Kelly did make the top 10 and you can see her Beef Empinadas recipe and vote on it here.  (Please please please go vote for her!)

Then on Monday, I saw where Ro*Tel announced on Facebook that there were 10 runners-up.  Guess who made the list….

Go ahead.  Just guess.

*blush*

So, today I wanted to share with you my Spicy Stuffed Shells recipe.  (It can also be found over on the Recipe Blog here.)

 Spicy Stuffed Shells

100_8186

Ingredients:

12 ounces andouille sausage
6 ounces (approximately) jumbo pasta shells (about half of a box)
4 ounces monterrey jack cheese (shredded)
4 ounces goat cheese
½ cup roasted red pepper (chopped)
1 ear sweet corn, roasted, removed from cob (about ½ cup)
1 cup chopped fresh baby spinach
1 egg
¼ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 can Ro*Tel tomatoes & green chiles
Olive oil as needed
Kosher salt as needed

 Method:

Rub corn with olive oil (or butter) and place on indoor or outdoor grill over medium high to high heat. Grill while turning occasionally to get all sides just slightly charred (while doing other things). Set aside to cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, remove corn from cob by holding the cob up on end and slicing downward with a sharp knife and pressing against the cob with the knife. Transfer corn to a bowl and set aside.

Put a pot of water on to boil. Add several good pinches of kosher salt. Once boiling add pasta and boil for approximately 8 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.

Cut andouille sausage into pieces by quartering lengthwise then slicing into ¼ to ½ inch thick pieces. Place just a little olive oil in a skillet and set over medium high heat. Once hot, add sausage pieces and reduce heat to medium. Allow the sausage to not only brown but also cook out some of the fat. Once browned, remove to a paper towel lined bowl to absorb some of the grease. Set aside.

Chop up roasted red peppers and baby spinach place in bowls and set aside. Lightly whisk egg in a separate bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl add sausage, peppers, spinach, corn, bread crumbs, egg and both the Monterrey Jack and goat cheeses. Using a large spatula or spoon, mix all ingredients until all are evenly distributed.

By hand, stuff each shell until full but not over-flowing and place in a baking dish. Top the shells with 1 can of Ro*Tel tomatoes. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

2 Comments:

The G's said...

Well, how cool are you? That is incredible. I am going to try this and see how wonderful they are for myself.

Pam said...

Very impressive, girl! : )