Search This Blog

Friday, June 27, 2008

Foodie Friday - An Apple a Day and Central Market

Do you like apples? I do. But as with many other things food related, I'm picky about my apples.

They must be crisp. They must be sweet. They must be very fruity. They must have tender skin.

So Red Delicious are right out.

I wasn't crazy about apples for a long time because I thought Red Delicious were my only choice. Then, I got out on my own and began to discover that I really do like other varieties. And I get really excited when I find one that I like a lot.

I look forward to the fall each year when Honeycrisp apples are in season. They are only around for a month or two and then they are gone until the next year. But, oh I stock up during that time.

So, imagine my absolute delight when I made a visit to Central Market recently and discovered a new variety that is available right now that is very much like the Honeycrisp in texture and flavor.

Ladies and gents, I present you with the New Zealand Jazz apple.



Ahh, Central Market. I love Central Market. And it's a rare treat to get to go.

If you're not from around here, it's the specialty food arm of H-E-B and the only way H-E-B has been able to come close to breaking into the DFW market.

And when I say specialty food, I mean it. There's very little in there that you would find at your run of the mill Kroger or Tom Thumb. I always enjoy my trips there as I can find some things that I can't find anywhere else. Like...


Greek Yogurt. If you haven't ever had Greek yogurt, it's wonderful. Especially when served honey. It's really thick, like the consistency of sour cream (actually closer to creme fraiche). I was first introduced when I was an au pair in Carcassonne, France in 1994. Then really fell in love when we went to Greece in 2000.



H-E-B Tortillas. Oh. My. STARS. I love H-E-B tortillas. They are so buttery and fattening.



Bing Cherries. My family loves fresh cherries in the summer time.

The one funny thing about Central Market though is there is an unwritten dress code. The day I went recently, I was lookin' nice as we had been in the pool and working around the house all morning. Stacy and Clinton would NOT have approved. And neither did most of the people there that I felt staring at me.

But they are all dressed alike. LITERALLY. I saw two girls, BFFs I suppose, both with matching knee length shorts, same color tops and even the same style and color of handbag. Oh, and their hair... the same highlighted short little wedgey bob. Seriously, can we be any more Stepford-esque? And I suppose I'm the one that was supposed to be embarrassed about how I was dressed. They looked ridiculous.

But the trip to Central Market and my apple discovery was worth any feelings of fashion inferiority that I suffered.

Because an apple a day keeps... Stacy and Clinton away?

Probably not.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the cherries look especially luscious with your blog design:)

I love food finds. And favorite finds. If I was more blog savvy maybe I'd start a friday favorites meme. Or has that been done?

Anyhew, I also love Jazz apples. And Honeycrisp. I have to say though, I find it hard to locate crisp Red Delicious so rarely buy them.

I am still laughing about the BFF's and your indignation. I think we think alike!

Were they also wearing Uggs with their shorts and the weather was over 90 degrees? My niece and I observed some similar foolishness last week.

I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog. I love reading it. T~

Totallyscrappy said...

Another firm apple fan! Who really enjoys those mushy red delicious apples, anyway?

Cristel said...

We're a HUGE fan of the FUJI apple. So sweet, usually crisp and just yummy. My kids can hardly choke down a red delicious anymore now that we have discovered the greatness of the Fuji.

The G's said...

Amen to HEB tortillas. My sister always brings those when she visits along with the amazing fajita meat she gets at the HEB. Those things are dangerous.