Search This Blog

Saturday, February 16, 2008

BEEP – THIS IS A TEST…

This is a test of the emergency temptation network.
This is certainly a test.
(The word “only” didn’t seem quite right here)

My friend, Cristel, said to me just the other day that it would be nice if there was an emergency notification system for Christians like the emergency broadcast system in the media. Something that would let us know that we were being tested. The thing is, I think we do have that. I certainly have sensed the Holy Spirit telling me I’m being tested right now.

We studied quite a bit about Peter last week in Matthew 16. First his amazing confession of Jesus Christ as the Messiah, the Son of God as revealed to him by the Holy Spirit. Then, his 180 degree turn as he rebuked Christ for speaking of the things to come and what he would suffer. Then, on to chapter 17 during Christ’s transfiguration when he just wanted to build a structure and stay on the mountain.

What I believe was revealed to me in the latter two of these stories was to not be so comfortable where I am that I am not willing to move forward. In both situations, it seems to me that Peter just so enjoyed being with Christ and having him right there in the current situation that he failed to be able to see and want to follow Christ to accomplish the larger plan that the Father had set before him.

I feel like God is allowing me to be tested to see if I am getting too comfortable where I am. Where I am with Him, where I am in my marriage, where I am in my relationships with others, where I am in my work, where I am in dealing with temptation as I am most certainly tempted to keep things as they are. The alarm is sounding. This is definitely a test. My desire is to pass the test.

0 Comments: