Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2008

Are you?

I was sitting in our kitchen at work today working on my BSF lesson as a co-worker came in and began staring at the microwave. I turned around and she was trying to figure out how to make it cook at ½ power. After pushing several different combinations of buttons, it worked.

It made me think of that show, “Are you smarter than a 5th grader?”

My question… Are you smarter than the microwave?

This situation reminded me of something I encountered last week that really struck me as funny.

In my haste to get out the door one morning last week, I asked Mike if I could dip into his Pop-Tart stash that he keeps in his car for his 45 minute commute to work. Being the “oh so loving and giving” husband that he is, he said it was fine. So, I grabbed a package of cherry Pop-Tarts as I flew out the door.

How long has it been since you had Pop-Tarts? Well, that’s too long.

I flew into the office and sat down at my desk, with said Pop-Tarts sitting idly by, not knowing even if we had a toaster for me to heat them, or if I was just going to have to eat the "raw" straight out of the package. Much to my delight, I did find such a toaster in our kitchen. And much to my dismay, I found that the toaster had a specific "Pop-Tarts" setting on it... labeled with the Pop-Tart logo and everything.

Are you smarter than the toaster?

Why on earth did the makers of this particular toaster think that their consumers were so brain-dead that they could not figure out how to cook Pop-Tarts? Well, I followed suit and used the Pop-Tart setting. And they were, well, perfect.

I find myself wondering why I am so concerned about being smarter or better than other people, or things. Do I think that I am smarter than, oh, say, the Bible? Truth be told, yeah, I probably do sometimes. But as I see from this example, if I just put my life on the setting that God tells me to through His holy and perfect Word, things well be, well, perfect. Not necessarily easy or the way I want them, but in God’s eyes, perfect.

0 Comments: