Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The time has come... to say good-bye

It's time. It's been a long process for her and for us. But, there's no denying that it is time.





I wish I could describe what Daisy has meant to our family. But words fail for such a good and devoted friend.

We got her not long after we got married and moved into our first house 12 years ago. M picked her out at a shelter. She was the runt of the litter and her litter-mates had been chewing on her tail. There was not much fur left on it at all. It took a while to grow back in.

I have always loved the way she was a big dog that could look menacing if she was provoked, but was just as sweet and gentle as could be with us, those she loved and who loved her. She has been, many times, what has kept me feeling safe when M is out of town on business.





She has had a good life and a fairly long life for a dog her size. Recently she'd have a few good days followed by more bad days of not eating. The bad days just seemed to get worse each time with fewer good days inbetween. It's been hard to see her in such shape, but we just kept hoping that the good days would help her turn a corner. That she would get better. But they never did and she just continued to go down-hill.


I know this. I know, in my mind that it is time. I just wish my heart could catch up to my mind on this one.


We will miss you sweet Daisy-girl. Daisy-dawg. Crazy-Daisy. Lazy-Daisy.


4 Comments:

Newton Family said...

Oh Donna, I wish I could be there to give you a huge hug!!! I am going through the exact situation this week, and it stinks. I had to put my 16 year old cat to sleep yesterday. In my heart I know it was for the best as she was suffering from a mouth tumor, but the house seems so empty and I feel very lonely. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family at this very difficult time. May your Daisy become great pals with my Pandora.

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

Aww Lori... Thanks. And I'm sorry to hear about Pandora. I remember y'all going through some stuff with her... It's just hard when they've been with you for so long.

Beth Cotell said...

I'm so sorry. When you've had a pet that long they become part of your family and it can be so painful to let them go.

Hang in there!

The G's said...

((((HUGS))))

I know how those pets wiggle their way into your heart and become part of the family. We know all too well what you are going through. We will pray for you.