Search This Blog

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Grandparents Day

Today was grandparents’ day at Sarah’s school. Nanny, Grumps and my Aunt Susan were there for her. She also got a letter from Mimi and Papa to which she reacted with an, “AWESOME!”






Sarah’s class sang “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross” for the program and recited a poem for their grandparents. Nanny took some video of these, but I don't have them yet to post.

So naturally I’ve been thinking a lot about my own grandparents and the legacy that they left in me.

My mom’s parents taught us all about family and fishing. We used to go down to their place on the lake and spend weeks in the summer and grew up very close to my Nana’s side of the family.

My PawPaw K was a quiet man, but incredibly sweet. He had a quiet strength about him.

My Nana K is definitely where I get my way with words. Only, I tend to think I’ve tamed my tongue a little more than she ever did (imagine that for a moment). But, oh, she passed on the musical genes. Sarah has them. It’s funny to think back now on the bond that Sarah had with her. Even when she was not very responsive and confined to a wheel chair, Sarah was never freaked out by it. Did you know she passed away on Sarah’s 5th birthday?

My dad’s parents definitely left a spiritual legacy in our lives. We would spend weeks with them in the summers as well and got to know their church as well as our own.

My PawPaw P was so sweet and such a leader in their church. I didn’t like it at the time, but I miss they way he prayed with all the “King James” lingo… “Thee,” “Thou,” “Thy,” “Thine.” How rich.

My Nana P left a mark of all things artistic and beautiful in my life. I view anything visually artistic that I do as a tribute to her. I also definitely get my love of cooking from Nana P. Oh, the pies. The PIES! Her award winning coconut pie was to die for (so I hear… I don’t eat coconut). And my sister has gotten very good at the chocolate pie with the “mile high” meringue… it’s real close to Nana’s.

Did you know that I can’t wait to be a grandma? (No pressure, Sarah and Nathan. Really, no pressure.) Oh to be past the child rearing stage and to be able to just have some fun with them.

But it’s more than just fun. I can only pray that I leave such an indelible mark, a legacy for my grandchildren. A legacy of loving Jesus more every day. A legacy of leadership and strong personal character. A legacy of things beautiful and tasty.

I really want to be a Nana just like mine were. What do you think? Does it suit me?

0 Comments: