Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sitting Duck?

Oh my soul I just saw the cutest thing just outside my back yard. The dogs were going wild and I went to investigate. I found this mama duck taking her little peeps out for a walk. I haven't seen them around before, so I wonder if this may have been their first big excursion.




Isn't that just the sweetest thing?!?!
.
As I observed what was happening, I noticed that she appeared as calm as could be even in the face of a couple of large golden retrievers accross the way (Bubba & Jake) barking like crazy at them. I thought it was so interesting that it seemed that she knew they were not in immediate danger. Maybe I just don't give a lot of animals a whole lot of credit for deductive reasoning, but it amazed me that she could tell that they were held back by that fence and were not able to get to her babies.
.
Another thing I noticed is that she has at least six babies following her. And again... she appeared calm. Only a single "quack" was uttered from her bill every once in a while. Just a single sound to reassure her peeps and help direct their steps.
.
Wow... if only I could mother like that.
.
First, I get so uptight and concerned about my childrens' safety. I really need to take the fence example to heart. God is the fence. He's in control of the evil (dogs). I really need to trust Him with that.
.
I also tend to say a lot more than I probably need to.
.
And with six, I would sound like, "QUACK, quack, quack quack quack quack quack quackquack quack quack quack quack.... deep breath... quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack, QUACK!" And then I'd do it again.
.
I also noticed that I didn't see a wing constantly reaching behind her and feathers constantly flying as they were on this excursion. Do you think she ever had to say, "Don't make me pull this parade over, ducklings. Just wait till we get home and I tell your father what you did."?
.
So, lessons leared from a mama duck and her peeps. As I evaluate myself, I'd like to be sitting here a little more like that duck.

0 Comments: